How do I check if a business has a history of complaints?

If a business is located in New York City and licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), call 311 to check the business's complaint history. The following types of businesses are licensed by DCA:

Billiard Halls
Bingo Game Operators and Commercial Lessors
Booting Companies
Cabarets, including Discos
Catering Establishments
Cigarette Retail Dealers
Dealers in Products for the Disabled
Debt-Collection Agencies
Electronic and Home Appliance Service Dealers
Electronics Stores
Employment Agencies and Managers
Garages and Parking Lots
Games of Chance
General Vendors and Distributors
Home Improvement Contractors and Salespeople
Horse-Drawn Cabs and Drivers
Laundries and Laundry Jobbers
Locksmiths and Apprentices
Motion Picture Operators
Park Rides
Permanent and Portable Amusement Devices
Process Servers for Organizations and Individuals
Special Sales
Scale Dealers and Repairers
Scrap Metal Processors
Secondhand Dealers
Secondhand Dealers of Automobiles
Secondhand Dealers of Firearms
Sidewalk Cafes
Stoop Line Stands
Sightseeing Buses and Guides
Storage Warehouses
Street Fairs
Tow Truck Drivers and Tow Companies

The City does not provide complaint history for businesses that DCA does not license. The City also does not give advice about where to do business.