How do I request a parking meter refund?

The Department of Transportation (DOT) accepts refund requests for parking meters that may have a payment problem.

For credit or debit cards refunds, please review your payment history to confirm that your credit or debit card was charged for the transaction in question. Often, financial institutions post charges after the date of the actual transactions.

Parking meter refund requests must be made in writing. Please include:

  • Date and time of incident
  • Parking meter number
  • Location of the parking meter
  • Description of problem
  • Copy of parking meter receipt, if available
  • Documentation showing overpayment, such as a copy of the credit card statement, if applicable

Send your request and supporting documents to:

DOT - Parking Administration
Muni-Meter Refunds
34-02 Queens Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101


DOT will investigate your claim and send you a letter of determination.