Bed Bugs

You can report bed bugs in:

  • Private residences
  • New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) property
  • Hotels
  • Single Room Occupancy (SRO) buildings
  • New York City public schools
  • CUNY colleges
  • Hospitals
  • Homeless shelters
  • Subways

If you report bed bugs in a residential building, hotel, or SRO, the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) will conduct an inspection. HPD may conduct inspections with a bed bug-sniffing dog. If bed bugs are found, the residential building owner may get a ticket. To report bed bugs in a private house or apartment, you must be a tenant in the building, and you must provide your contact information.

Under the NYC Bed Bug Disclosure Act, landlords must notify prospective tenants in writing about any bed bug infestations that have occurred in their building in the past year. You can get in person assistance from NY State Homes and Community Renewal in multiple languages at an HCR Borough Rent Office. You can find more information and Borough Rent Office locations here.

To report bed bugs in businesses, nonprofit organizations, or child care facilities, you should contact the manager or owner of the facility.

If you are a private homeowner, you should hire a pest control professional licensed by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to evaluate the pest problem and to exterminate if necessary. Licensed exterminators should always provide proof of their license upon request.

To report bed bugs in a CUNY building, you should contact the Environmental Health and Safety Officer at each individual school. You can find the appropriate contact information here.

You can get information about bed bugs, including:

  • Preventing and safely eliminating bed bug infestations
  • Bed bug health risks
  • Regulations for managing and preventing bed bugs in New York City
  • Best practices for pest control professionals