Food Safety or Poisoning Complaint

You can make a complaint about food safety practices in service establishments, including unsanitary conditions, pets, and insect infestations. You can also report food poisoning from anything prepared by a commercial establishment, or from eating at parties, weddings, banquets, or other gatherings. Symptoms of food poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.

You can file a food safety complaint against:

  • Supermarkets
  • Farmers markets
  • Fish markets
  • Beverage stores
  • Bodegas
  • Warehouses
  • Delis
  • Bakeries
  • Cafeterias
  • Food carts (including Green Carts), stands, or trucks
  • Restaurants

If you are reporting food poisoning, you must indicate how many people became sick and the food that you think caused the illness. If possible, keep a sample of the food so it may be collected and tested.

The Department of Health will issue violations or warnings when appropriate.