Residential Maintenance Complaint

You can make an anonymous complaint about a maintenance problem that is affecting an entire residential building. When reporting a problem in an apartment, you must provide your contact information.

Common maintenance complaints against landlords include:

  • Unsanitary conditions, such as mold, sewage, or pests, including mice, bed bugs, or roaches
  • Water leaks, holes, cracks, or peeling paint on walls or ceilings
  • Doors and locks that are broken or missing
  • Windows that are broken or stuck open or closed
  • No heat or hot water
  • Electrical problems, such as no lighting, defective outlets or switches, exposed or illegal wiring, or wet light fixtures
  • Cooking gas that has been shut off
  • Doorbells, buzzers, or intercoms that are broken or missing
  • Floor or stairs that are damaged
  • Sinks, bathtubs, showers, toilets, or other plumbing fixtures that are broken or defective
  • Safety issues, such as broken or blocked fire escapes, or broken or missing smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, or window guards

If you do not get the response you want from your landlord or the building owner, you can take legal action in Housing Court

You can also get a record of a complaint filed with the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD).