The City requires all applicants who have filed a construction job and have received objections to schedule an appointment with a Department of Buildings (DOB) Plan Examiner until all objections have been met and the construction plans have been approved. No construction may begin until all plans have been approved.
The following types of appointments are available:
- Plan examinations
- Emergency plan examinations involving time limitations
- Consultations on future building plans, before formally opening a file with the City
- Reconsideration appointments for disapproved or rejected plans towards construction projects
- Technical compliance unit appointments, zoning reviews, special enforcement, or special audit reviews requested as the result of an audit or official review
You will need to provide the following to schedule a Plan Examiner appointment:
- Job and Document Number
- Attendee DOB ID and PIN Number
DOB launched a new online self-service appointments system on October 1, 2018. The new website replaces the previous process of calling 311 to make appointments through the Plan Examination Notification System (PENS).
You may also schedule an appointment to have plans for a New Building or Major Alteration project in any borough reviewed through The HUB, DOB’s state of the art review center that includes the Development HUB, HUB Self-Service, and HUB Full-Service. The HUB works to accelerate the approval process for construction projects throughout the City. Design professionals can submit applications and construction plans to DOB electronically, and plan examiners and applicants can review plans virtually using online meeting software.
To participate in the program, you must be registered with DOB’s eFiling system.