Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)

The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE, also known as the NYC Rent Freeze Program) freezes the rent for head-of-household seniors 62 and older who live in rent-regulated apartments. In order to satisfy the income eligibility requirement, the senior's household income must be $50,000 or less.

Landlords are given a property tax abatement credit applied to their property tax bill in the same amount as the increase that the tenant is exempted from paying.

You can get more information about SCRIE, including:

  • Eligibility for SCRIE if you are a senior residing in a rent stabilized building
  • Eligibility for SCRIE if you are a senior residing in a Mitchell-Lama or any other (non-rent stabilized) government-regulated development
  • How to apply
  • Status of an application
  • How to renew SCRIE benefits
  • How to transfer from SCRIE to DRIE (Disability Rent Increase Exemption)
  • How to make an appeal if you believe you were wrongly denied SCRIE benefits
  • How to fill out a Portability Form if you are a SCRIE recipient and you are moving to a different rent-regulated apartment
  • How to report that the building is under new ownership or management, if you are the landlord
  • How to report that a SCRIE tenant has moved or died
  • How to correct or update information on your SCRIE record
  • How to request an adjustment of legal rent based on the Casado v. Markus court action
  • Contact information for the SCRIE Ombudsperson, who can help resolve issues with your application or benefits

Senior Centers that provide case assistance can also help with starting the application process.

If you recently submitted an application, it may take up to 4 weeks from the mailing date for the application to be processed and for the status to be available.