Truck and Commercial Vehicle Permits

The City restricts the travel of Over-Dimensional (oversized or overweight) trucks on City streets and bridges. Vehicles exceeding the allowed dimensions must get a daily Over-Dimensional Vehicle Permit for each trip. Over-Dimensional trucks are not allowed on City streets without a valid permit that designates a travel route.

Certain commercial vehicles may get an Express Lane permit to use restricted roads, such as parkways and High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.

The following vehicles must have an annual or single-use permit to drive on parkways with restricted commercial use:

  • School buses
  • Vans
  • Other vehicles with commercial or bus license plates
The following vehicles must have an Express Lane permit to drive in HOV lanes on City highways:
  • Ambulettes
  • Access-A-Ride vehicles
  • Wheelchair accessible vans
  • Buses and out-of-state bus equivalents

A Special Hauling Truck Permit is required to operate a self-propelled crane. The City reviews permit applications for conformance with weight and size restrictions. The permit is valid for one year.

The State requires all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier registrants, to get a USDOT Number.