Car Dealer Complaint

The City accepts complaints against businesses that sell used cars, including auto auction businesses and dealers selling salvaged vehicles. New York State accepts complaints about new car dealers. Before filing a complaint, you should attempt to settle the matter directly with the dealer.

Used car dealers are required by law to provide you with a written statement that the car you are purchasing is a salvage vehicle. Used car dealers must also provide you with a bill of sale that includes the name and address of the business, the price of the car, the cost for any added-on items, totals and sub-totals, sales tax amount, and a "Notice to Buyer" stating that the car has passed inspection and is fit to drive.

Used car dealerships may not park their cars on public streets and sidewalks.