Food Cart Vendor License or Permit

Food carts and trucks in the City must be licensed.

You must have a license, which is a photo ID badge, to run a food-selling business from a pushcart or truck, either year-round or seasonally. This license is called a Mobile Food Vendor Personal License. You must also have a decal permit for any pushcart or truck where food is sold. This decal permit is called a Mobile Food Vending Unit Permit.

New permits are available only to those licensed vendors who were placed on the Food Cart Waiting List and notified by the Department of Health to apply for the permit. If you are notified, you must file an application in person at the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) Licensing Center. You must then contact the Department of Health to schedule an inspection appointment and have a permit sticker affixed to the pushcart or truck.

The permit expires two years from the previous expiration date. The fee is $200 for a processing food unit and $75 for a non-processing food unit. Veterans do not have to pay the fee.