Freelance Workers and Hiring Parties - Information and Assistance

Freelance workers and hiring parties in the City can contact the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) about:

• Legal rights for freelance workers
• Legal responsibilities for employers and hiring parties
• Complaint about a hiring party, including no written contract, nonpayment or late payment, and retaliation 
• Court Navigation Program, including resources for freelance workers

DCA can answer questions during regular business hours.

You can also submit questions:

• By email to
• Online using Live Chat at Live Chat is available for employer and hiring party inquiries only. When you open the webpage, click the "Live Chat" button. Then, click the button in the middle of the screen that says "Live Chat with a DCA Representative" to open a chat window.