Request for Military Discharge or Separation Documents

You will receive a certificate of release from the Department of Defense if you're:

  • A veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged from Active Duty service
  • A veteran of the National Guard and Reserve components who completed Basic Training, Advance Individualized Training (AIT), and/or who were activated for a tour of Active Duty service 

This certificate of release is the Department of Defense Form 214 (DD 214). You can request a copy of your DD 214 form with the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration online, by fax, or by mail.

Request a copy of your DD 214 form.

To request a copy by fax or mail you must complete and submit form SF 180. You may pick up a form by visiting the NYC Department of Veterans Services between the hours of 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays when the office is closed.

They are located at:

1 Centre Street
Suite 2208
New York, NY 10007