The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) helps your business open its doors faster and stay open. SBS offers client management, compliance consultations, plan examinations, and inspections on behalf of many City agencies.
Small Business Advocates
Small Business Advocates help New Yorkers navigate government to start, operate, and grow their businesses.
These advocates make referrals to other NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) programs and services, such as grants to train employees and financing assistance.
They help businesses understand and follow key City rules and requirements by working with colleagues at the City’s regulatory agencies, including:
- Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)
- Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
- Department of Sanitation (DSNY)
- Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY)
They also connect businesses with utilities and State agencies, including:
Contact our Small Business Advocates
- Department of Agriculture & Markets
- Department of Financial Services
- Department of Labor
- State Liquor Authority
Our team will come to your business and provide a customized checklist to help you:
- Understand key City rules and requirements
- Avoid common fines and violations
- Our staff can provide information on multiple agencies including the Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), Department of Sanitation (DSNY), Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), and Fire Department (FDNY).
We will not issue violations or fines - we are here to help you understand the rules.
If you have already received a violation, our staff can help you understand what it means and how you can resolve it. Request a Compliance Consultation
To transfer plans to our office, you can:
- Mail or bring the entire job folder and plans to us – NYC Department of Small Business Services, 110 William Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10038
- Have our examiners review digital plans of Alteration Type-2 and Alteration Type-3 applications submitted through the Department of Buildings (DOB) HUB Full Service program. Make sure your licensed professional requests “SBS Status” on the application. We will be notified by DOB to review your application.
- *For review of your fire suppression range hood plans, email a PDF copy of the plans, completed FDNY Application (TMR-2 form), and DOB job number. The plans are reviewed by FDNY and DOB plan examiners located at our office. You can also notify us via email if you submitted a digital review for HUB Self-Service of fire suppression range hood systems through DOB.
Our inspectors will visit your business to help you get ready to serve customers:
Contact us for more information
- FDNY Fire Suppression Range Hood: Systems must be inspected to make sure they meet the Fire Code. Your Licensed Fire Suppression Contractor can request a Range hood test/inspection.
- DOHMH (Pre-Operational): New eating and drinking establishments must be inspected to make sure they meet the Health Code before serving customers. Call 311 orrequest Pre-Operational Health inspections.
- DEP (Grease Interceptor): Pre-Operational Health inspectors can help make sure your grease interceptors are installed correctly. Grease interceptor inspections can take place at the same time as your health inspection or during our Compliance Consultations.
*Launching businesses only