Get Help with Licenses and Permits
The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) helps your business open its doors faster and stay open. SBS offers client management, compliance consultations, plan examinations, and inspections on behalf of many city agencies.Client Management
SBS provides information and assistance to help you start operate, and grow your business. We can also help schedule and coordinate most required inspections. Request client management by calling 311, filling out this form
, or visiting us at 110 William Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10038.Compliance Consultations
Our team will come to your business to help you:
- Understand key City rules and requirement
- Avoid common fines and violations
- Coordinate reviews reviews and inspections from City agencies such as the Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), Fire Department (FDNY), and Department of Sanitation (DSNY), and Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA).
If you have already received a violation, our staff can help you understand what it means and how you can resolve it.Request a Compliance ConsultationPlan Examinations
To transfer plans to our office, you can:
- Mail or bring the entire job folder and plans to us – NYC Department of Small Business Services, 110 William Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10038
- Have our examiners review digital plans of Alteration Type-2 and Alteration Type-3 applications submitted through the Department of Buildings (DOB) HUB Full Service program. Make sure your licensed professional requests “SBS Status” on the application. We will be notified by DOB to review your application.
- *For review of your fire suppression Rangehood plans, email a PDF copy of the plans, completed FDNY Application (TMR-2 form), and job number. The plans are reviewed by FDNY and DOB plan examiners located at our office. You can also notify us via email if you submitted a digital review for HUB Self-Service of fire suppression Rangehood systems through DOB.
Our inspectors will visit your business to help you get ready to serve customers:
Contact us for more information
- FDNY Fire Suppression Rangehood: Systems must be inspected to make sure they meet the Fire Code. Your Licensed Fire Suppression Contractor can request a Rangehood test/inspection.
- DOHMH (Pre-Operational): New eating and drinking establishments must be inspected to make sure they meet the Health Code before serving your customers. Call 311 orrequest Pre-Operational Health inspections.
- DEP (Grease Interceptor): Our Pre-Operational Health inspectors can help you make sure your grease interceptors are installed correctly. Grease interceptor inspections can take place at the same time as your health inspection or during our Compliance Consultations.
*Launching businesses only