Get Help with Licenses and Permits
The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) helps your business open its doors faster and stay open. SBS offers client management, compliance consultations, plan examinations, and inspections on behalf of many City agencies.Client Management
SBS client managers provide information and expert assistance to help you start operate, and grow your business. We can also help schedule and coordinate many required inspections. Request client management assistance by calling 311, filling out this form
, or visiting us at 110 William Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10038.Compliance Consultations
Our team will come to your business and provide a customized checklist to help you:
- Understand key City rules and requirements
- Avoid common fines and violations
- Our staff can provide information on multiple agencies including the Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), Department of Sanitation (DSNY), Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), and Fire Department (FDNY).
We will not issue violations or fines - we are here to help you understand the rules.
If you have already received a violation, our staff can help you understand what it means and how you can resolve it.
Request a Compliance Consultation Plan Examinations
To transfer plans to our office, you can:
- Mail or bring the entire job folder and plans to us – NYC Department of Small Business Services, 110 William Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10038
- Have our examiners review digital plans of Alteration Type-2 and Alteration Type-3 applications submitted through the Department of Buildings (DOB) HUB Full Service program. Make sure your licensed professional requests “SBS Status” on the application. We will be notified by DOB to review your application.
- *For review of your fire suppression range hood plans, email a PDF copy of the plans, completed FDNY Application (TMR-2 form), and DOB job number. The plans are reviewed by FDNY and DOB plan examiners located at our office. You can also notify us via email if you submitted a digital review for HUB Self-Service of fire suppression range hood systems through DOB.
Our inspectors will visit your business to help you get ready to serve customers:
Contact us for more information
- FDNY Fire Suppression Range Hood: Systems must be inspected to make sure they meet the Fire Code. Your Licensed Fire Suppression Contractor can request a Range hood test/inspection.
- DOHMH (Pre-Operational): New eating and drinking establishments must be inspected to make sure they meet the Health Code before serving customers. Call 311 orrequest Pre-Operational Health inspections.
- DEP (Grease Interceptor): Pre-Operational Health inspectors can help make sure your grease interceptors are installed correctly. Grease interceptor inspections can take place at the same time as your health inspection or during our Compliance Consultations.
*Launching businesses only