The Customized Training program provides federally funded grants to help NYC-based businesses train and retain their employees. This competitive, reimbursable training grant is available for businesses that are for-profit, operating for at least one year, and able to pay for training upfront. Customized Training grants offer financial support to make training your staff more affordable. The right trainings can help your bottom line, reduce employee turnover, improve morale, promote an efficient and productive workforce, and increase your competitiveness in the marketplace.
Businesses identify a problem(s) they are facing and select the training(s) that will help them solve for this problem(s). The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) reimburses up to 60% of the total training costs in one or more of the following areas:
Our staff will notify you about the status of your application within one week after the board meeting. If you have any questions,
Interested in learning more about the Customized Training program and next steps?
Training Examples and Success Stories
1. Training on recently purchased equipment or software: Admiral Insurance Brokerage Corp. is an insurance company that negotiates and sells personal and commercial insurance. The business invested in two new software systems that will help its employees to better prospect and manage clients.
Solution: Admiral Insurance was awarded $38,787 to provide training on the two new systems. Admiral Insurance was also able to offer training to improve staff skills in account management and selling.
- Increased number of new clients
- Overall boost in workplace morale
2. Training to offer new services/products to reach new markets: StratX IT Solutions is an information technology (IT) managed service provider that specialized in healthcare IT support. As healthcare customers have slowed over the years, StratX decided to expand to two new sectors, insurance and real estate.
Solution: StratX IT was awarded $83,162 to train employees in a variety of technology certifications to move into these two new sectors.
- Staff can now offer new services to their existing clients
- Staff can reach new clients in new sectors
3. Training to give current staff new skills to advance into hard-to-fill positions: Fancy Foods Inc. is a wholesale distributor of meat and poultry products located in the Bronx. Fancy Foods applied for Customized Training to provide current employees with new skills to help the business remain competitive, grow their customer base, and promote existing employees.
Solution: Fancy foods was awarded $23,521 to train 19 employees in leadership, supervisory skills, project management, and sales training.
- Within the past year the business has focused on improving company culture by hosting a bowling night, Bring Your Child to Work Day, and other company events
- 100% retention rate in employees that participated in training
4. Training to update obsolete skills that are necessary for the business to be competitive: AWISCO is a supplier of industrial and welding equipment throughout the New York metro area. AWISCO applied for Customized Training to offer trainings that would make the business more attractive to customers through new technology and improved processes.
Solution: AWISCO was awarded $76,753.60 to train 46 employees in lean manufacturing, lean cycle counting, and customer service.
- Updated inventory processes
- Increased sales due to customer service trainings