The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) offers an on the job training program, New Skills, New Jobs. Through this program, eligible businesses can train and onboard eligible new employees with a grant covering up to 70% of wages for up to their first 280 hours.
For a more complete overview of the program, please read our program guidelines (PDF)
Eligibility Requirements for Businesses
- Operational in NYC for at least one year
- Have a current hiring need for fulltime, permanent position(s) that offer at least $13/hour with health benefits or $13.65/hour without
- Demonstrate need and commitment to training
- Organizational capacity to manage the new hire training and document processes/requirements of the grant.
Eligibility Requirements for New Hires
- 18 years of age
- New York City resident
- Legally authorized to work in the United States, and has not started to work yet with the employer
New hires must also be categorized as at least one of the following:
- Long-term unemployed (27+ weeks)
- Veteran or military spouse
- Recent school or occupational training graduate (within two years)
- Resident of NYC public housing or other subsidized housing
How to Pre-Qualify
Submit your Business Eligibility Requirements Checklist (PDF)
with all required documents to determine if your business is eligible. Step 2:
Review the New Hire Eligibility Requirements Checklist (PDF)
to ensure that the new hire would meet the program criteria. Step 3:
Once you have submitted your pre-qualification documents, an SBS staff member will follow up with you to clarify any responses and go over next steps. If eligible, we will invite you to fill out the full application, as well as a proposed New Hire’s Training Plan. Step 4:
Review the program timelines (PDF)
to align the hiring and onboarding of new employees with our program requirements and timelines.
General Program Guidelines
- If accepted to participate in the OJT grant, your business can train a new eligible employee; you will teach them new skills needed to perform the job by directly supervising the employee while doing the job.
- SBS will cover up to 70% of the employee wages for up to the first 280 hours of work.
- Your business will formalize a training and onboarding program for the new hire, with the intention of keeping the employee on the job at the completion of the training.
- If selected, your business has up to 30 days to implement the training for a maximum of three employees.
Businesses are reimbursed within 30-45 business days at the end of the training.
Check out our FAQs (PDF)
for additional information. Contact us for more information