Train Your Team - On the Job Training
The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) provides an on-the-job training program to help you recruit and train qualified candidates
Who can apply
- We will use your job description to screen and refer candidates for you to interview; you decide whom to hire.
- We will reimburse you for 70% of the Ttrainee’s salary (up to $25/hour) during the hours that he/she participates in on-the-job training (up to 280 hours within the first three months of employment).
To apply, your business must:
- Be located in New York City;
- Be in operation for at least one year;
- Have a current hiring need for full-time, permanent positions (with a minimum 30 hours per week);
- Have open positions that meet wage requirements:
- At least $11.00 per hour with supplemental benefits; OR
- $13.40 per hour without benefits
There are no application deadlines. Potential new hire training plans, which serve as a program application, are reviewed on a rolling basis year-round. Grants will be awarded on a discretionary basis. How to Apply
- Submit a pre-application to determine if your business is eligible. This should take you about 3-5 minutes.
- Once you have submitted a pre-application, an SBS staff member will follow up with you to clarify any responses. If eligible, you will be sent the full application.
Eligibility Requirements for Hew Hires or “Trainees”
Your new hire must:
- Be 18 years of age;
- Be a New York City resident;
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States; and
- Be categorized as at least one of the following:
- Long-term unemployed (6+ months of unemployment, excluding out of sector and temporary stop-gap employment)
- Unemployed as a direct result of Hurricane Sandy or other qualifying natural disasters
- Qualify as a veteran or military spouse (“veteran” is defined as having served at least 1 day of active duty in the military, air, or naval services, including National Guard and Reserve components)
- Recent school graduates, i.e. any graduate who received a high school diploma or equivalency or successfully completed a degree or continuing education program within the last two years. Continuing education programs include 2- and 4-year college programs as well as occupational training programs
- A resident of New York City’s public housing
Costs Eligible for Reimbursement
The only costs eligible for reimbursement are trainee wages for hours spent in training. Tips, bonuses, lunch hour, and commissions that contribute to trainee wages are not eligible for reimbursement
Once you submit complete and correct reimbursement paperwork, we will reimburse you in approximately 30 business days.