The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau classifies businesses selling alcohol into two categories:
- "Retail dealers" sell alcoholic beverages to any person. Retail dealers may include stores, restaurants, bars, private clubs, fraternal organizations, grocery stores, or supermarkets.
- "Wholesale dealers" sell liquor, beer, or wine at wholesale or to other dealers.
Registration is due:
- before opening your business, the alcohol portion thereof, or a new location of your business;
- on or before July 1 each year only if there has been a change in your existing registration information;
- within 30 days of discontinuing the alcohol portion of your business; and
- within 30 days of going out of business.