Businesses must receive a comprehensive package of incentives from state or local authorities, such as the EDC, to qualify for this program. In order to be eligible, businesses must also meet at least some of the following requirements:
- Be a manufacturer in New York City.
- Undergo an energy efficiency survey.
- Be approved for another City or State benefit, such as:New York City Industrial Development Agency, Industrial and Commercial Abatement Program, and Energy Cost Savings Program.
- Apply with 30 days of applying for City or State incentives.
- Retail establishments are excluded from receiving the BIR benefit. This includes stores (such as grocery stores), restaurants, franchises, chain establishments, and related businesses.
- Government entities may not receive the BIR.
- Businesses that move into vacant commercial or industrial buildings, or move into new construction are eligible to apply through Con Edison. Not-for-profit institutions that occupy newly constructed or converted space used predominantly for biomedical research, or business incubators recognized by a government entity or business incubator graduates that continue to exist as a new business must also apply through Con Edison.
For more information, contact:
110 William Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10038