Certificate of Occupancy



Buildings, Department of City
A new or amended Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) is required if construction will create a new building or will result in a change of use, egress, or occupancy to an existing building. If a building was constructed before 1938 and has had no change in use or additions to the property, it may not have a C of O. Proof of the legal use of a building that does not have a C of O, can be obtained from a "Letter of No Objection" from the Department of Buildings' borough offices.

If no work is planned, building owners must hire a Registered Architect or Licensed Engineer to file an Alt-1 "No Work" application before a new or amended C of O will be issued.

For additional information on a specific property, visit the online Buildings Information System database at the Buildings Information System (BISWeb) link, below.
Next: Apply

See Agency Contacts by Borough and Unit for the DOB office serving your area

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Certificate of Occupancy.

Website: http://www.nyc.gov/buildings

Learn which licenses and permits matter to you

Starting in Spring 2017, you can use Step by Step to get a customized list of requirements for your business.