Certified instructors must:
- be at least 21 years of age;
- have possessed a driver license that is valid in New York State with a good record for two years;
- have a high school diploma or GED;
- pass vision, road sign, written, and practical tests;
- have never been convicted of a felony or certain other crimes;
- have completed a DMV-certified Methods and Content Course for In-Car Instruction.
Applicants who wish to teach Pre-licensing Courses must also complete a 30-hour Teaching Techniques and Methodology course.
For more information, contact:
Bureau of Driver Training Programs
Certification and Oversight Unit
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Phone: (518) 473-7174