Certified businesses obtain greater access to, and information about, contracting opportunities through classes, networking events, and targeted solicitations. They receive technical assistance to better compete for contracts and benefit from inclusion in the City's ONLINE DIRECTORY OF CERTIFIED BUSINESSES. The directory promotes EBE business to purchasers.
To be eligible for EBE Certification, a business must be:
- A Sole Proprietorship, General Partnership, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Liability Company, or Corporation. Not for Profit organizations are not eligible for EBE certification.
- Authorized to do business in New York State.
- At least 51% owned, operated, and controlled by persons who can demonstrate social and economic disadvantage who has have experienced chronic and substantial negative treatment in the United States. The person'(s)? inability to compete must have been impaired due to diminished access to capital and credit and the net worth of each socially and economically disadvantaged owner(s) whose combined interest totals 51% or more ownership of the business must be less than $1 million.
- An eligible business also must have:
- Been selling products or services for a period of at least one year prior to the date of application.
- A real and substantial presence in the geographic market of New York City, which includes the five boroughs of New York City and the following counties: Nassau, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester in New York, and Bergen, Hudson, and Passaic in New Jersey. Businesses located outside of New York City must have a significant tie to the City's business community (e.g., have derived 25% or more of gross receipts from business conducted in the City, possess a license issued by the City, etc.).
Division of Economic and Financial Opportunity
110 William St, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10038
For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: EBE Certification Program