There are several important benefits to becoming a certified M/WBE with the City of New York, including listing in the Online Directory of Certified Businesses, a public website which promotes certified businesses. The directory contains over 6,000 businesses from diverse industries including engineering, graphic design, catering, IT consulting, childcare, accounting, metal fabrication, plumbing, event planning, and many more.
Other benefits of certification include access to networking events, customized courses and targeted consultations.
A business seeking M/WBE certification must meet the following eligibility requirements:
1. The business is legally authorized to transact business in New York State.
2. The business has been in operation (i.e., selling goods and/or services) for at least one year.
3. At least 51% of the business is owned, operated and controlled by a U.S. Citizen(s) or U.S. permanent resident(s) who are women and/or members of designated minority groups including:
- Sole proprietorship
- Limited liability company (LLC)
- Limited liability partnership (LLP)
- Limited Partnership (LP)
- General Partnership
- Maintenance of a bank account for at least six (6) months in the City, or engagement in other banking transactions in the City, and/or
- Possession of a license (i.e., by the business or by at least one owner) issued by a New York City agency supporting its ability to transact business in the City, and/or
- Proof of business transactions, or attempted business transactions, in or with the City more than once over the past three (3) years.
The M/WBE program strives to promote fairness and equity by enabling M/WBEs to improve their capacity, connect to opportunities, and positively contribute to the local economy. Click this link to learn more about SBS resources for M/WBEs.
The M/WBE program was established through the enactment of Local Law 129 in 2005. The City's M/WBE certification program is administered in accordance with standards set forth in Chapter 11 of Title 66 of the Rules of the City of New York. View the regulations that govern the City of New York's M/WBE Program here.
For more information, please contact:
Division of Economic and Financial Opportunity
1 Liberty Plaza, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10006