Sale of Small Animals (Pet Shop)

Did you mean: Pet Dealer License


Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of City

Most establishments that sell small animals, such as pet shops, require a Sale of Small Animals Permit from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH).

Animal shelters require a Shelter for Homeless Animals Permit from DOHMH. Establishments that sell cats and/or dogs, but do not sell other small animals, do not need a NYC permit but must obtain a Pet Dealer License from the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets.

The information on this page is designed to explain the application, regulatory compliance and inspection requirements for operating a facility to sell small animals. This information only encompasses health-related aspects of the regulatory requirements of a facility to sell small animals, and business users should be aware that reading the information attached and below will be necessary to properly understand the various provisions of DOHMH regulations.
Next: Apply

Additional resources

NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DoHMH)

Office of Veterinary Public Health Services
125 Worth Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10013
Fax: (646) 632-6605

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Pet Shop Permit


NYC Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings

Health Tribunal
66 John Street, 11th floor
New York, NY 10007

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: OATH


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Requirements Questionnaire to get a customized list of requirements for starting or operating your business in New York City.