Your 9/11 Health Care
The 9/11 Treatment Referral Program (PDF) is an important part of the World Trade Center Health Registry. TRP staff help survivors and responders exposed to the World Trade Center attacks on 9/11 apply to the World Trade Center Health Program (WTCHP).
Through the WTCHP, survivors and responders can get care anywhere in the nation for approved 9/11-related health conditions. TRP staff provide assistance to English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Spanish speakers.
Do You Need Care?
You may need care if you are a survivor or were a responder of the World Trade Center attacks on 9/11 and have any of the following symptoms or conditions:
- Chronic cough
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Shortness of breath
- Sleep apnea
- Acid reflux (GERS)
- PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Specific types of cancer
Are You Eligible for Care?
You may be eligible to receive treatment for 9/11-related health conditions if you are a survivor or were a responder present in the New York City (NYC) disaster area. (The NYC disaster area is the area of Manhattan south of Houston Street and any block of Brooklyn that is within a 1.5-mile radius of the former World Trade Center site.)
A survivor is someone who:
- Was present in the disaster area during the attack
- Lived or worked in the disaster area
- Attended School, child care, or adult day care in the disaster area
- Survivors must currently have a 9/11-related physical or emotional condition to be eligible. Eligible survivors receive treatment for 9/11-related health conditions at no out-of-pocket costs.
A responder is someone who:
- Worked in the post-9/11 response in the NYC disaster area, at the barge-loading piers or at the Staten Island landfill
- Provided rescue, recovery, demolition or debris removal services on or after 9/11
- Provided support services, such as unaffiliated volunteer work, on or after 9/11
- Worked in the New York City office of the Chief Medical Examiner (morgue)
Eligible responders can receive annual monitoring and treatment of 9/11-related health conditions for free.
Contact the Treatment Referral Program
If you or someone you know may have a 9/11-related health problem, call the TRP at: 1-888-WTC-7848 (888-982-7848). One of our multilingual staff members will:
- Help you determine your eligibility
- Send you an application
- Guide you through the WTCHP application and enrollment process
Visit nyc.gov/911health to learn more about the World Trade Center Health Registry.
If you are experiencing an emotional crisis at any time and feel an urgent need to speak to someone, you can reach a counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). NYC WELL provides services in multiple languages. For more information, visit nyc.gov/nycwell.