Administration for Children's Services311Search all websites

Resources for Immigrants

For Youth and Families
For Service Providers

For Youth and Families



  • In New York State, children under 19 years old in low-income families can get free health insurance, regardless of their immigration status. You can enroll through the New York State of Health Marketplace by calling 1(855) 355-5777 or online.
  • Use the NY State of Health Directory to find a Navigator in your community who speaks your language.
  • Find out where you can get free or low-cost health care services on the NYC Human Resources Association website.
  • Find a counselor, substance abuse treatment, or other mental health program that speaks your language. You can search HITE and ACS ConnectMe by language and zip code.


Learn whether you qualify for government programs to help you afford food, housing, and more.

  • Call 311
  • Visit NYC Human Resource Administration (HRA) Immigrant Resources page.
  • Find out what programs exist in NYC, and whether they may require U.S. citizenship or immigration status, by using the NYC Immigrant Services Manual (available to download in Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Bengali, Creole, and Korean). Please be aware that some information in this 2013 guide may have changed. You can call 311 or one of the hotlines below if you need additional help.
  • You can also get legal help to understand what benefits you may qualify for.
    • Call The Legal Aid Society at 1(888) 663-6880 (Tuesday – Thursday, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m) or
    • Legal Services NYC’s Government Benefits Hotline at (917) 661-4500 (Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)

Help & Support for Crime Victims/Survivors

Get help if you or someone you know is the victim/survivor of a crime. Help is available no matter what your immigration status is or what language you speak.

  • The New York City Family Justice Centers offer legal and social services to victims/survivors of abuse and their children.
    You can walk in Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Find your nearest location on the Family Justice Center website.
  • Learn more about resources for immigrant crime victims/survivors on the NYC Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs website.

Immigration Help

Find free or low-cost immigration legal help

  • Learn more about Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), a form of immigration help for children under 21, and find an attorney in NYC who can help you figure out if you might qualify. Download brochure in English. Descargar folleto en español.
  • In NYC, get free, safe immigration help in your community form ActionNYC. Call the ActionNYC hotline at 1(800)354-0365 to make an appointment or visit the ActionNYC website.
  • Call the New York State Office of New Americans Hotline at 1(800) 566-7636 to find a provider near you who speaks your language.
  • Find updated information about the President’s executive action on immigration (also known as “deferred action”) on the NYC Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs website.

Parents and caretakers in immigration detention

Learn more about how to stay in contact with your child if you are a parent or caretaker in immigration detention.

  • Read about the "Parental Interests Directive," a set of federal government policies related to staying in touch with your children while you are in immigration detention.

Back to Top

For Service Providers

Working with immigrant youth and families

Learn more about working with immigrant youth and families as a provider of child welfare or family support services.

  • The Center on Immigration and Child Welfare offers practice guides, training, technical assistance, sample policies, and other resources for service providers.
  • First Focus is a bipartisan advocacy organization that provides information related to the well-being of children of immigrants.

Back to Top