Administration for Children's Services311Search all websites

Help in a Crisis

Being a parent can be challenging. Here’s what to do if you find yourself almost at the breaking point.

Someone is hurting you or your child.

You can’t cope. You need to talk.

This is an emergency. You can't care for your child.

  • Call the Family Crisis Center and Nursery for help and emergency child care at 1(888) 435-7553.

The Center is located at New York Foundling, 590 Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) in Manhattan. It offers:

  • Temporary safe haven for children from birth to age 10. Parents can visit any time.
  • Children are loved and cared for while parents get help. Parents get services, too.  

You can’t care for your newborn.

Under the Abandoned Infant Protection Act, you can:

  • Leave your newborn under 5 days old in a safe place - no questions asked.
  • Safe places include hospitals and police and fire stations.
  • You don’t have to give your name.

The Abandoned Infant Protection Act is a New York State law; call 1(866) 505-7233 for information. The law allows parents, guardians and other responsible persons to leave a newborn under 5 days old they can’t care for in a safe place with an appropriate person.

An adult in my family is being abused/neglected or needs help to live safely at home.

To report abuse and neglect of an adult 18 years old and older, call the New York State Adult Protective Services at 1-844-697-3505. Learn more about NYC services for adults who are physically and/or mentally impaired and need help to live safely, manage finances, housing and healthcare.

Programs & Initiatives