Administration for Children's Services311Search all websites

Close to Home Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Non-Secure Placement (NSP) and Limited Secure Placement (LSP)?

The Family Court Judge has the option of placing a youth in either an NSP or LSP residence depending on the youth’s risk level. Youth who are considered lower risk are generally placed in the NSP program. The NSP program is the least restrictive setting and the homes do not have secure hardware such as barbed wire fences. Youth who are considered higher risk are typically placed in LSP homes, which have more security features to ensure the safety of the residents and the communities.

How long will my child remain in placement?

It depends on your child’s behavior and progress. The average length of stay in a residential program is 6 to 7 months. Your child will participate in an aftercare program in the community for approximately 4 to 6 months after he/she is released.

Where will my child sleep while he is in a residential program?

Some residential programs have individual rooms while others have dorm-style sleeping arrangements.

Will my child be able to leave the group home?

Your child will not be allowed to leave the group home without the residential program staff’s permission. Youth regularly receive permission to attend recreation and cultural events in the community.

Will my child go to school while in Close to Home?

Yes. DOE operates several small and safe schools in the community that serve solely youth involved in the juvenile justice system. The NSP homes provide transportation for youth to attend school during the academic year. Youth in LSP will receive education services directly in their residences. All classes are taught by DOE teachers and your child will receive DOE credits for their school work.

Can my child go home or receive visits or phone calls while s/he is in a residential program?

Youth may make phone calls to their family while in Close to Home. NSP placed youth may also have the opportunity to go home for a day or overnight visit with the permission of the provider. They can also receive visits from approved family members.

Who can I talk to if I have a problem with the program?

Your child’s assigned PPS can respond to any questions or concerns you have. You can also speak with an ACS Residential Care Advocate by calling the ACS helpline directly at (212) 676-9421.

What are my child’s obligations once they are released from the residential placement program into aftercare?

Youth must continue to work with the PPS and the aftercare provider after they are released. Any youth who violates Close to Home conditions risks losing their aftercare status and being returned to placement.

Programs & Initiatives