Mosholu is an Algonquian word (the language of some North American Indian groups) that means "smooth stones" or "small stones" for the nearby creek now known as Tibett's Brook. The Parkway began in the late 19th century when New York City bought several underdeveloped lands in the Bronx to build park space and parkways, namely Van Cortlandt, Claremont, Crotona, Bronx, St. Mary's, and Pelham Bay Parks and the Mosholu, Crotona, Bronx and Pelham Parkways between 1888 and 1890.
The movement to create more parks in the city began in 1881, when John Mullaly, a former newspaper reporter and editor, and a group of citizens concerned with widespread urban growth, formed the New York Park Association.
The group's lobbying efforts helped the passage of the New Parks Act in 1884, which funded the acquisition of several major underdeveloped lands with the purpose of creating parks and parkways. Today Mosholu Parkway connects the Bronx Park to Van Cortland Park and stretches from Allerton Avenue to Gun Hill Road, with an extension north through Van Cortland Park. Frisch Field, a baseball field named after 1948 in honor of Frank "Fordham Flash" Frisch a major-league baseball player, manager, Fordham University alumnus and Bronx resident, is located at Mosholu Parkway and Webster Avenue by Botanical Square.
There is also the Mosholu Playground located at Mosholu Parkway South and Bainbridge Avenue. The south end of the parkway borders the New York Botanical Garden, an internationally renowned public garden and research institution housing one of the largest collections of plant specimen in the world. Some New York City landmarks in this neighborhood include the 52nd Police Precinct on Webster Avenue and Tracey Towers, two of the largest buildings in the Bronx, located at the intersection with Jerome Avenue.