You can report illegal/unsafe construction work and improper building use by calling 311 or visiting 311ONLINE:

Call 311. For the hearing impaired, the TTY number is (212) 504-4115


Upon obtaining a complaint number, please share the complaint number with your local Community Board and/or City Council Member. To find your local Community Board contact the Mayor’s Community Affairs Unit . To contact your City Council member, visit the New York City Council Member page 


What Happens After I File a Complaint?

After you file a complaint by calling 311 or using 311ONLINE, you will be given a Service Request number. You can check the status of these complaints using the Service Request number through 311ONLINE.


Helpful Links