To obtain a permit, a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) must submit an application to the Department. A Department plan examiner will review the application and plans for any legal/zoning objections. When objections are satisfied, the Department will approve the application. A PE or RA may also certify that plans conform to all applicable laws.