Renewing Permits


Permit Renewals are issued on active permits and permits that have expired, but have activity on the application within a two-year period of the permit expiration date for various types of general construction within the five boroughs.


The Department’s Permit Renewal Unit issues renewals as well as:

  • Superseding active permits

  • General Contractor's tracking number insurance update

  • Reviews Work Without a Permit violations – the Unit may override or assess the civil penalty of such violations as deemed necessary.

  • Process outstanding civil penalty fee payments due.

Tip: When is a Superseding Letter is Necessary - A superseding letter is required when replacing a contractor on a permit that is currently active. This letter is authorized by the owner and allows the previous contractor to be replaced on record with a newly hired contractor.

The Customer Service window hours are now 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. All walk-ins that would like their applications processed the same day should make their submissions prior to 1:00 pm.

Renewed permits can either be picked up from the Department or mailed. Please indicate your preference when submitting your application on the addressed return envelope.

Properly Completing a Permit Renewal Application

  • Notarize permit renewal application in Section 8, when a renewal with change is required.

  • Enclose an individual $100.00 check for each work type.

  • Check off only one work type per application.

  • Sidewalk shed permits always require approval letters in order to be renewed. The letter must include:

    • A description of the condition of the building or portion of building, and the amount of work performed since issuance of the last shed permit.

    • An estimate of the amount of time needed to complete the work as well as the name, address and telephone number of the property owner.

    • An original signature and seal from a professional engineer or registered architect, attesting to the items listed above.

  • Remember to indicate on the addressed return envelope. Whether you want your permit to be mailed to you or whether you plan to pick it up.

  • Fence Waiver letters must be signed and dated by an authorized Department of Buildings official only.

In order to get a permit the following types of insurance are required for permits renewal:

  • Worker’s Compensation and Disability Insurance are required for all permits.

  • Street Obstruction Bonds are needed for all construction equipment permits (i.e. Fence, Shed, and Scaffold.)

  • iability Insurance is required for all New Building (NB) applications

To properly file a Permit Renewal Application use the following steps:

  • Submit application PW2 two weeks before its expiration (two copies.)

  • Make sure all insurance is updated on your existing tracking number or submit insurance certificates that reflect that policies are currently in effect

  • Provide complete information on permit application (PW2)

  • Submit $100.00 renewal fee for each work type, except for work that is exempt or fee deferred


To obtain the status of a Permit Renewal either:

  • Visit Buildings Information System on our website

  • Use the public computers access terminals

  • Contact the Permit Renewal Unit

Tip: Change in business address - Contractors must submit an original typed and notarized letter on company letterhead, which includes the old place of business address in addition to the new location of business. The contractor must also submit new original insurance certificates that include the new place of business address. Contractors must also complete a renewal with change PW2 Form showing the new address.


Helpful Links