Materials are classified and recognized in accordance with section 28-113 of the Administrative Code and the OTCR Rule.
Materials referenced in the Construction Codes along with prescribed standards and acceptance criteria.Accepted Code
2008 NYC Construction CodesProduct Approval
Products must be tested and/or listed and labeled by an Approved Agency (Approved Testing, Inspection or Product Certification Agency), in accordance with prescribed standard. Department certification/approval is not required. Products which require conformity to standards must be approved by an approved testing agency.
Materials not prescribed by the Construction Codes although nationally published standards may exist.Accepted Code
2008 NYC Construction CodesMaterial Recognition
- Relevant acceptance criteria or standard must exist for the product.
- Submit Alternative Material Acceptance Criteria Application (OTCR1) for review.
- Upon approval, acceptance criteria will be published in OTCR Bulletin.
Products must be tested and/or listed and labeled by an Approved Agency (Approved Testing, Inspection or Product Certification Agency), in accordance with OTCR-approved criteria.Fee:
MEA and BSA Approved Materials
Material previously issued MEA (Materials and Equipment Acceptance) and BSA product Approvals
1968 Building CodeProduct Approva
Products must be labeled according to MEA procedures. MEA/BSA approvals must be valid and must comply with all relevant codes sections of the 2008 NYC Construction Codes.
Materials which are:
- Too large for laboratory testing
- Component parts which must be assembled in the field
- Foreign-made materials unavailable for testing prior to installation and may require on-site testing
- Designated by the Buildings Commissioner
Site-specific approval requires on-site testing by an approved laboratory or engineer.Accepted Code
2008 NYC Construction Code
- Submit Site-Specific Application (OTCR2) followed by the Testing Laboratory or Professional Statement Application (OTCR3) for review.
- Upon approval, OTCR will issue an approval letter to the applicant.
Products must be tested by approved testing agency or professional engineer. Products are approved by OTCR for one-time use on a specific projectFee: