Owner Project Requirements:
Temporary Chutes

Work you can do without a permit, Licensed Contractor, or Registered Design Professional

There is some minor work, described below, that can be performed without a work permit, without hiring a Licensed Contractor, and/or without hiring a Registered Design Professional.

Work you can do without a permit

The NYC Administrative Code §28-105.4.5 clarifies work exempt from permit, which does not absolve work from compliance with any other law or rules enforced by the Department. Owners are obligated to comply with requirements of other city agencies. Unless otherwise indicated, permits shall not be required for the following:

Emergency Work

Administrative Code Section AC 28-105.4.1 clarifies ‘emergency work’ as work otherwise requiring a permit, performed to relieve an emergency condition. Licensed Contractors may perform emergency work prior to getting a permit as long as it is submitted within two (2) business days after work commences and includes a description of the emergency condition and mitigating measures taken.

Emergency work, as it relates to Temporary Construction Chute projects, may include but shall not be limited to:

  • Stabilization of unsafe structural conditions

  • Erection of sidewalk sheds, fences, or other similar structures to protect the public from an unsafe condition.

Design and Permit Requirements

Per BC 3303.5.5.5, a Temporary Construction Chute shall not require design and permits if:

  • Installed on the exterior of a building or structure at a height of 40 feet or less in height above the level of the adjoining ground;

  • Has been designed by a manufacturer and is installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s design; and

  • Does not attach to or impart a load on a scaffold.

When you need to hire a Licensed Contractor to obtain a permit

No Temporary Construction Chute work that requires a permit can be performed by a Licensed Contractor without the Owner first hiring a Registered Design Professional to prepare and submit construction plans for approval by the Department.

When you need to hire a Registered Design Professional, Licensed Contractor and obtain a permit

If the Temporary Construction Chute project is comprised of aspects of work exceeding what’s allowed above, then a Registered Design Professional must submit construction plans, for approval by the Department, prior to obtaining a work permit.

Owner Links

ADDITIONAL Requirements

Get Additional Project Requirement information:

Helpful Links