Skilled Trades


The Department of Buildings issues more than 30 types of licenses, registrations, or certifications. Following is a list of DOB issued Licenses:

  • Elevator Inspection Agency Director & Inspector
  • High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer
  • Hoisting Machine Operator
  • Master Electrician
  • Master Plumber
  • Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractor
  • Oil Burning Equipment Installer
  • Rigger
  • Sign Hanger
  • Site Safety Professional
  • Welder


Use the License Search to confirm the status of a license, registration, or certification, and see the website's Sanctioned Licensees section for information on disciplinary actions.


Licensing, certification, and registration requirements help prevent unqualified people from putting New Yorkers at risk. For example, the Department of Buildings issues Master Plumber licenses to contractors qualified to perform plumbing work and Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractor licenses to contractors qualified to work on sprinkler systems or standpipes (NYC Construction Codes §28-408.1 and §28-410.1).


This is because allowing unlicensed plumbers to work on your home can be dangerous. Fumes from damaged sewer lines can make people sick, gas lines can rupture, and leaking waste pipes can threaten the water supply. Plus, only a licensed plumber should repair a gas boiler: Unlicensed boiler work can lead to a fatal buildup of carbon monoxide.


The Department will only issue permits for plumbing and fire suppression work to a licensed master plumber or licensed master fire suppression piping contractor. Only these licensees – or the employees they supervise – may work on piping systems.


All master plumbers and master fire suppression piping contractors must have a place of business in New York City other than a home office. When you hire a contractor, be sure to have a written contract. It should include the contractor's:

  • Company name
  • Company address
  • License Number(s)


Certain limited plumbing work can be done without a plumbing license. No license is required to change sinks, faucets, or toilets – but work that requires installing or removing a shut-off valve or trap must be performed by a licensed plumber.


Below are lists and links to New York City-licensed electricians and plumbers.

New York City-Licensed Electricians and Plumbers


Helpful Links