Obtain a: NYC Class 1 Filing Representative Registration
STEP 1: REGISTRATION CRITERIA
In order to become a registered Filing Representative, you must:
- Meet registration qualifications (See STEP 2)
- Apply for registration (See STEP 3)
Section 28-416.2 of the New York City Administrative Code exempts the following persons from registration:
- Professional Engineers
- Registered Architects
- NYS Licensed Attorneys
- Master Plumbers
- Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractors
- Master Electricians
STEP 2: REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants applying for a Class 1 Filing Representative registration must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
To obtain a Class 1 Filing Representative registration, you must complete the following training requirements:
STEP 3: APPLYING FOR YOUR REGISTRATION
To become a registered Class 1 Filing Representative, you must submit the original documents listed below in person to the Department's Licensing & Exams Unit, Monday through Friday, from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. The Licensing & Exams Unit is located at 280 Broadway, 1st Floor, New York, NY 10007.
The following documentation is required for Class 1 applicants:
- Typed and completed Filing Representative Application LIC8 form
- Original Photo ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, passport or green card)
- Original Social Security card
- Original proof of residence (utility bill, lease, deed or bank statement) Cell phone bills or credit card statements will not be accepted. If you are unable to provide proof of residence in your name, you may submit a notarized letter from the person you reside with verifying that you reside with them, along with proof of residence in their name
- A typed, notarized letter from your employer on their company’s letterhead verifying your employment and authorization to represent the company; or a typed, notarized letter verifying that you are self-employed
- $330.00 check or money order for background investigation fee
- $150.00 check or money order for registration fee. This fee must be submitted after you have been notified that you have passed your background investigation;
NOTE: For questions pertaining to your background investigation or to find out the status, please send inquiries to email@example.com.
- Certificate of Completion obtained after completion of 16-hour Department-Approved Course
Note: Applicants will not be able to obtain registration until the 16-Hour Department-Approved Course is completed and a Certificate of Completion is received; Certification of completion must be submitted with all other required documents.
STEP 4: REGISTRATION DETAILS
All Filing Representatives have a transitioned to a three-year cycle beginning on their birthday following the date of renewal. At the end of the term, the Filing Representative must renew their registration to maintain Class 1 status. At that time a $150.00 registration fee will be required.