Obtain a: NYC Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative Registration


To become a registered Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative, you must:

  • Meet registration qualifications. (See STEP 2);
  • Apply for registration and pay the required fees. (See STEP 3);

Section 28-416.2 of the New York City Administrative Code exempts the following persons from registration:

  • Owners
  • Professional Engineers
  • Registered Architects
  • NYS Licensed Attorneys
  • Master Plumbers
  • Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractors
  • Master Electricians



Applicants applying for a Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative Registration must meet the following requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years old; and
  • Meet one of the following experience qualifications:
    • Four-year college degree in architecture or engineering from an accredited college; or
    • Four-year college degree in another field from an accredited college plus two years as a registered filing representative with the Department on at least 50 jobs within four years of application for registration.

To determine the number of jobs associated with your Filing Representative registration number on a Plan/Work Application (PW1), use the filing representative search feature (#21) in the Buildings Information System.

To obtain a Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative Registration, you must complete the following training requirements:



To become a registered Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative, you must submit the following original documents listed below in-person Monday through Friday, from 1:30pm to 3:30pm to the Department’s Licensing & Exams Unit, located at:

New York City Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007

The following documentation is required for Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative applicants:

  • Typed and completed Filing Representative Application LIC8 form
  • Typed and completed Experience Verification Form  from each Professional Engineer or Registered Architect who is attesting to job filings you are claiming as experience where your information does not appear on the PW1 form
    NOTE: Limited alteration applications, post-approval amendments, electrical applications, and demolition applications cannot be credited toward the filing requirement.
  • Four-year college degree
  • Original Photo ID (driver's license, learner's permit, passport, or green card)
  • Original Social Security card
  • Original proof of residence (utility bill, lease, deed or bank statement). Cell phone bills or credit card statements will not be accepted. If you are unable to provide proof of residence in your name, you may submit a notarized letter from the person you reside with verifying that you reside with them, along with proof of residence in their name
  • A typed, notarized letter from your employer on their company's letterhead verifying your employment and authorization to represent the company; or a typed, notarized letter verifying that you are self-employed
  • $330.00 check or money order for background investigation fee
  • $150.00 check or money order for registration fee. This fee must be submitted after you have been notified that you have passed your background investigation
    NOTE: For questions pertaining to your background investigation or to find out the status, please send inquiries to licensingbackgrounds@buildings.nyc.gov.
  • Certificate of Completion obtained after completion of 36-Hour Department-Approved Course
    Applicants will not be able to obtain registration until the 36-Hour Department-Approved Course is completed and a Certificate of Completion is received; course information will be provided if the applicant passes the background investigation.


Upon renewal, all Filing Representatives will transition to a three-year cycle beginning on your birthday following the date of renewal. At that time a $150.00 registration fee will be required.

How To




Helpful Links