How to change from a Class 1 to a Class 2 Filing Representative
Step 1: Registration Qualifications
Applicants changing from a Class 1 Filing Representative to a Class 2 Code and Zoning Representative registration must meet the following education requirements and provide:
- Proof of four-year college degree in architecture or engineering from an accredited college (copy of degree or transcript) or
- Proof of four-year college degree in another field from an accredited college (copy of degree or transcript), plus two years as a registered filing representative with the Department on at least 50 jobs within four years of application for registration.
To determine the number of jobs associated with your filing representative registration number on a Plan / Work Application (PW1), use the filing representative search feature in the Buildings Information System.
Step 2: Applying for Your Registration
Applicants must provide the following:
- Typed and completed Filing Representative Application LIC8 Form
- Copy of degree or transcript verifying that you have completed a four-year degree
Note: If your degree was completed outside of the United States, an English translated transcript must be submitted.
- Notarized Experience Verification Affidavit(s) from licensed architects or engineers verifying that you have filed at least 50 jobs within four years of application. (Required for all applicants that do not have a degree in architecture or engineering) OR
- Listing of jobs that were filed under your name and/or registration number verifying that you have filed at least 50 jobs within four years. (Required for all applicants that do not have a degree in architecture or engineering);
- Course Completion Certificate for the Department approved 36-hour Filing Representative training course;
- Code of Conduct Receipt (you will receive this in the training course);
*If you are approved for the class 2 Registration, you may be subject to a $50.00 re-issue fee.
*Applicants requesting to renew and change their registration must check both the renewal and change boxes in section 1 of the LIC8 application