Obtain a: Class B Hoisting Machine Operator License
Step 1: License Criteria
To become a New York City-licensed Class B Hoist Machine Operator, you must:
- Meet the License Qualifications (see STEP 2)
- Apply for and pass the appropriate National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators or the Crane Institute Certification written and practical examinations (see STEP 3)
- Apply for and pass the Background Investigation (see STEP 4)
- Apply for your license (see STEP 5)
Step 2: License Qualifications
All applicants applying for a Class B Hoist Machine Operator license must
meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be fit to perform the work authorized by the license
- Have good moral character so as not to adversely impact your ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Hoisting Machine Operator
- All applicants for a Class B Hoist Machine Operator license shall hold a Class A basic Hoisting Machine Operator license and shall have had at least two (2) years’ experience prior to the application date under the direct and continuing supervision of a Class B licensed Hoisting Machine Operator, on equipment for which a Class B license is required. Refer to Rules of the City of New York 104-09 for information on qualifications and requirements.
Step 3: Exam Requirements
To become a licensed Class B Hoist Machine Operator the applicant must pass the appropriate National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) written and practical examinations. Candidate handbooks and application information can be found on their website at www.nccco.org.
To obtain a Class B Hoist Machine Operator license the applicant must show a valid NCCCO certification card containing at minimum the following five certifications:
- Mobile cranes – large telescopic boom cranes (swing cab) (TLL)
- Mobile cranes – small telescopic boom cranes (fixed cab) (TSS)
- Lattice boom truck crane (LBT)
- Lattice boom crawler crane (LBC)
- Tower crane (TWR)
Step 4: Background Investigation
Once you have obtained the required NCCCO certifications, you must call (212) 393-2259 to schedule an appointment with the Department’s Licensing & Exams Unit to submit your information for a background investigation. Your appointment will be scheduled between 9:00am-12:45pm Monday through Friday and will be held at:
NYC Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit
280 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10007
You must bring the following original documentation with you to your appointment:
- Current NCCCO Certification Card as cited above
- LIC50 or LIC51 application
NOTE: Applicants with a home address outside of New York City’s five (5) boroughs must complete the LIC50 Authorization for Service of Process by Agent. Applicants may also fill out the LIC51 Voluntary Authorization for Service of Process by email even if they reside within the City of New York.
- Proof of Certification of Compliance with substance abuse provisions. The Department will provide a substance abuse policy compliance document for you to complete during your appointment
- Typed & notarized letter from the applicant listing the name, address and telephone number of the laboratory that performed the substance abuse test and consent for the laboratory to the release such information to the Department
- NYC Buildings Employment Verification Forms from all licensed Hoisting Machine Operators that supervised the Applicant’s work during the years he or she is claiming as experience
Note: The Experience Verification Forms must come from the licensed Hoisting Machine Operator who supervised your work during that time, not from Human Resources. The supervising Licensee must hold at minimum, the class of license for which the Applicant is applying. NYC Buildings Experience Verification forms, posted on the Department website must be submitted with the Background Investigation Questionnaire.
- Social Security History of Earnings for the years you are claiming as experience - this is NOT the Social Security Statement.
Note:There is a fee charged by the Social Security Administration for this service. You must request the report to be run by ‘company name’. You may request the information by mail or in-person (ordinarily you can receive this instantly in person).Visit (http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-7050.html) for more information.
- Union Extracts for the years you are claiming as experience, if applicable
- Current Driver’s License – if driver’s license is from outside of NY, applicant must submit a driving abstract from the Department of Motor Vehicles in State of license issuance. Any licenses with driving conditions or restrictions will not be acceptable.
- Original birth certificate, current passport or green card
- Original Social Security Card
- Proof of residence (utility bill, lease or deed) or a typed notarized letter and bill from the person you are residing with
Note: Cell phone bills will not be accepted.
- National Certification Practical Exam Results showing type of equipment on which you were tested
- $500.00 Background Investigation Fee – for questions pertaining to your background investigation or to find out the status, please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 5: Obtaining Your License Card
If the Department determines that you meet all qualifications and you pass the Background Investigation, you will receive a letter from the Licensing & Exams Unit with a list of instructions and required items that you must submit to the Department to obtain your license. You have one (1) year from the date of the letter to obtain your license.