Licensing Insurance Guidelines
- Your license/registration/tracking number(s) must appear on all forms.
- Your business name and address must match Department records.
- Any corrected forms must be submitted by your insurance producer or insurance broker.
- The Certificate Holder box must read:
New York City Department of Buildings
Attn: Licensing & Exams Unit
New York, NY 10007
- If you update a cancelled policy, you must submit a letter of re-instatement along with the updated insurance certificate.
- All information must be typed. Handwritten corrections will not be accepted.
- Updated insurance certificates must be submitted to the email address that corresponds with the license type.
- Insurance certificates are required to be in PDF format. Editable insurance forms will not be accepted. Insurance certificates should be scanned and saved as PDF format.
- Pictures of insurance certificates will not be accepted.
- Insurance email subject line must include a license number(s) and license type(s). without this information your request will be rejected.
- Each Insurance type must be scanned as a separate document.
General Liability Insurance
- Each occurrence must be a minimum of one million dollars.
- Your insurance producer/broker must provide an original signed and notarized Certification by Broker
- Acord 25 (2013/04) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Acord 25 (2014/01) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Acord 25 (2016/03) – Certificate of Liability Insurance
*Insurance certificates must have a contact name and contact phone number or email.
Worker's Compensation Insurance
- The business telephone number is required on the C105.2 and GSI 105.2 forms.
- U26.3 – Certificate of Worker's Compensation Ins (NYS Insurance Fund only)
- C105.2 (09/17) – Certificate of Worker's Compensation Insurance
- GSI 105.2 (02/02) – Certificate of Participation in Worker's Compensation
- A business telephone number must be included.
- Your insurance policy number and Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) must appear on your Disability certificate.
- DB 120.1 (09/17) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
- DB 120.1 (10/17) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
- DB 120.1 (01/18) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
- DB 120.2 (10/17) – Certificate of Compliance with Disability Benefits Law
Exemption from Worker's Compensation & Disability Insurance
You may submit an Affidavit of Exemption from Worker's Compensation & Disability Insurance if there are no employees in your company.
*NOTE: General Contractors (Registered/Non-Registered) and Safety Registration applicants cannot submit an affidavit of exemption.*
- You must submit the original Affidavit (not a copy).
- Your Affidavit must have an original signature and date.
Email your scanned PDF Insurance Certificates to one of the email addresses listed below. If you have one or more licenses, email the certificates to the designated insurance mailbox.
- Elevator Agency Directors - ElevatorAgencyinsurance@buildings.nyc.gov
- Oil Burner Equipment Installers - Oilburnerinsurance@buildings.nyc.gov
- Plumbing and Fire Suppression Contractors - PlumbingandFireSupinsurance@buildings.nyc.gov
- Master and Special Electricians - Electricianinsurance@buildings.nyc.gov
- Riggers and Sign Hangers - RiggerandSignHangerinsurance@buildings.nyc.gov
- Registered General Contractors, Safety Registrations, and Insurance Tracking Numbers - GCinsurance@buildings.nyc.gov