License Renewal: Master & Special Electrician
Step 1: Submit Application & Supporting Documents
To renew your Master and Special Electrician license, submit your application in-person at:
NYC Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007
Visit the Licensing & Exam Unit, Monday through Friday between 9:00am and 12:45pm.
Supporting documents include:
- Original, typewritten LIC38: Electrical License Application
- Recent utility bill (electric, gas, water), bank statement, lease or deed with the Licensee’s name and address, if the home address has changed
- Completed, typewritten LIC34: Licensing Supplemental Affidavit (if applicable)
- LIC51 application
NOTE: Renewal applicants may fill out the LIC51 Voluntary Authorization for Service of Process by Email if they would like to receive Notices of Violation (NOV)/Summonses via email.
- Photo ID (Driver’s License)
- Current license card, must be exchanged at the time of your renewal in order for you to receive your new license card
- As of January 1, 2016, all Master & Special Electrician license renewals will require successfully completing a Department-approved Course of at least eight (8) hours; must submit the original certificate from an approved school
- Firm Account Receipt with zero balance
NOTE: Licensed Master Electricians with Corporations or other entities registered with New York State Department of State must have an ACTIVE business to complete the renewal process. If your business is not active in the State’s Division of Corporation and Business Entity Database your license will not be renewed. Your corporation must be the same corporation you had when you last went before the Electrical Board.
Step 2: Pay Renewal Fees
- License: $60.00
- Seal: $30.00
- $400.00 (A notarized affidavit on the electrician’s letterhead bearing their department issued seal must be submitted indicating why they a renewing late)