Obtain a: High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer License
STEP 1: EXAM GUIDELINES
To obtain a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer license, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be fit to perform the work authorized by the license
- Have good moral character so as not to adversely impact your fitness to perform the duties and responsibilities of a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer
In addition, all applicants must also meet one (1) of the following levels of experience prior to applying for the exam:
- Have been employed as A Fireman, Oiler, General Assistant, Journeyman Boiler-Maker or a Machinist working under the direct and continuing supervision of a Department Licensed High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer in New York City for five (5) years within seven (7) years prior to the application date;
- Have received a degree in mechanical engineering from a school or college recognized by the New York State Department of Education and have one (1) year of experience in the operation of and maintenance of high-pressure boilers under the direct and continuing supervision of a Department Licensed High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer in New York City within two (2) years prior to the application date;
- Have held for at least four (4) years an engineer certificate from a board of examining engineers duly established and qualified pursuant to the laws of the United States, any State or a territory; or held a Marine Engineer certificate for at least four (4) years from the United States Coast guard. You must also have at last one (1) year of experience in New York City in the operation and maintenance of stationary high-pressure boiler plants under the direct and continuing supervision of a Department licensed High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer within seven (7) years prior to the application date, provided that the applicant include in his/her application a signed statement that he/she is the person named on the said certificate and statements from at least three (3) licensed High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineers employed in New York City at the time of making such signed statements that the applicant is the person named in the said certificate;
- Have at least five (5) years of experience in the direct supervision, care, operation and maintenance of a steam generating plant of a governmental building with boilers that have at least one-hundred and fifty (150) horsepower and have one (1) year of experience working with high-pressure boilers under the direct and continuing supervision of a Department-licensed High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer in New York City within seven (7) years prior to the application date; or
- Have successfully completed at least a two (2) yearlong registered, approved apprenticeship training program recognized by the New York State Apprenticeship Council and have had at least three (3) years of experience in the operation and maintenance of high-pressure boilers under the direct and continuing supervision of a Department-licensed High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer in New York City within seven (7) years prior to the application date.
- Have held as a Commission from the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors for a period of seven years, and has a minimum of five (5) years of high pressure boiler operation, maintenance, and/or inspection experience under such commission within the seven (7) year period preceding the application.
- Have held the Qualifications of High Capacity Fossil Fuel Operator (QFO) operator certification from ASME, and has a minimum of five years of high pressure boiler operation, maintenance, and/or inspection experience under such QFO certification within the seven year period preceding the application.
- Have held a high pressure certification/high pressure license for a period of five years from other jurisdictions acceptable to the Department provided such jurisdiction follows the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, and was employed under such certification and/or license for a period of not less than five of the last seven years in the operation, maintenance and/or inspection of high pressure boilers.
NOTE: Please see the full text of Title 28 of the New York City Administrative Code for all the qualifications requirements.
STEP 2: APPLYING FOR THE LICENSE
You must pass a written and practical exam in order to become a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer.
You must complete the exam application (LIC41), check the box that indicates you are a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer candidate and submit the application with the $525.00 fee to the Department (see contact information below). After passing the written exam, you must apply to take the practical exam (LIC42).
After passing the written exam, you must apply to take the practical exam (LIC42). To apply you must complete the exam application, check the box that indicates you are a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer candidate and submit the application with the $350.00 fee, payable by money order only, to:
NYC Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit – Exams
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007
NOTE: As of March 16, 2017, you have up to twenty-four (24) months from the date of notification of passing the written examination to pass the practical examination.
STEP 3: SCHEDULING YOUR EXAM
After submitting your exam application, you must next schedule your exams.
- If your application is accepted, you will receive an email from the exam administrator in one (1) to two (2) weeks with instructions on how to schedule your exam. Exams are given at several different locations in the State.
- The written exam consists of multiple-choice questions that assess your knowledge of the NYC Construction Codes, rules and applicable regulations. You will not be allowed to use reference materials during the exam.
- Passing score is seventy (70) percent; if you pass the written exam you will receive your report (printed by the site proctor) at the exam site at the time of testing, and a practical exam will be scheduled.
- If you pass the practical exam, you will receive a letter via US Mail by CPS approximately three (3) to four (4) weeks after the date the candidate takes the practical exam.
STEP 4: BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
To become a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer, you must pass a background investigation. Submit the documents listed below, either by mail (priority mail, FedEx, UPS or another trusted delivery service) or drop-off to:
NYC Department of Buildings
Licensing & Exams Unit
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007
*NOTE: Drop-off your application package between 9:00 am and 1:30 pm.*
You must include all the following for your application to be processed:
- LIC2 Application
- LIC34 if applicable
- LIC51 application
NOTE: Applicants may also fill out the LIC51 Voluntary Authorization for Service of Process by Email even if they reside within the City of New York and would like to receive Notices of Violation (NOV) Summonses via email.
- Examination Score Report Form
- Notarized Background Investigation Questionnaire
- LIC62 Physical Exam Form must be completed within 90 days prior to application date
- Experience Verification Forms from all supervisors for the years you are claiming as experience
NOTE: Experience Verification Forms from company Human Resources will not be accepted
Social Security History of Earnings for the years you are claiming as experience experience - this is NOT the Social Security Statement.
NOTE: There is a fee charged by the Social Security Administration for this service. You must request the report to be run by 'company name'. You may request the information by mail or in-person (ordinarily you can receive this instantly in-person).Visit http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-7050.html for more information
- Current photo ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, State ID, passport)
- Certificate/Wallet card from the Nation Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel (NBPV) Inspectors (if applicable)
NOTE: This information will be confirmed by NBPV Board
- High Pressure Boiler license from a qualifying jurisdiction under ASME standards (if applicable)
- ASME/QFO Certification (if applicable)
NOTE: This information will be confirmed by ASME
- Mechanical Engineering Degree (if applicable)
- Original Social Security Card
- Proof of residence (utility bill, lease, or deed) or a typed notarized letter and bill from the person you are residing with
NOTE: Cell phone bills will not be accepted
- Latest pay stub or W-2
- Two (2) passport sized photographs
- $500.00 Background Investigation Fee – for questions pertaining to your background investigation or to find out the status, please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants have one (1) year to complete the submission of all documentation.
STEP 5: OBTAINING YOUR LICENSE CARD
Once you have passed the exams and background investigation, you need to apply for your High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer license.
- If you pass both exams and the background investigation, you will be notified in writing by the Department’s Licensing & Exams Unit that you are eligible to apply for a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer license.
- You have one (1) year from the date of that letter to begin submitting the required documents for your license. If you do not complete the process within one (1) year of the date on the letter, you will be required to retake the exams.
- If the Department determines you meet all the qualifications and you pass the background investigation, you will receive an approval letter from the Licensing & Exams Unit. Once deemed qualified, you must send an email to LicensingAppointments@buildings.nyc.gov to obtain an appointment to receive your license card. Your email must include a PDF scan of your approval letter. You should receive a reply within 15 business days.