Quick Tips on Registering
Under the amended Special Inspection Agencies Rule, 1 RCNY §101-06, agencies performing Special Inspections must be registered with the Department.
- Register through eFiling.
- Complete the SIA1 Form. Click Preview at the bottom of the page, which allows you to view your application before submitting.
- Submit your SIA1 electronically.
- Date, print, sign, & seal the SIA1 Form. Save a copy for your records.
- Mail the SIA1 Form with a check or money order made out to the NYC Department of Buildings.
Note: You will be notified of the amount due when you complete the online registration.
- Check your email for confirmation that your registration and documentation were successfully processed; monitor your email for approval or denial registration.
Correctly Completing the Online Registration
- Provide complete information, including your Social Security number.
- Use your Temporary Reference Number. The SIA1 requires a Temporary Reference Number, which is on the bottom left of your online SIA1 and in your registration confirmation email.
- Register for the proper class. Special Inspection Agencies registered as Class 3 may not perform underpinning, mechanical demolition, or excavations (sheeting, shoring, and bracing). Read the Special Inspection Agency Rule for more information.
- Provide supporting documentation. After submitting the completed registration form, a summary page will be displayed; it includes instructions to submit supporting documentation and a link marked HERE to begin uploading. Licensed, professional engineers and registered architects must upload copies of a State-issued identification, proof of a New York City address or New York State Department of State filing receipt, professional liability insurance certificate, and Worker’s Compensation Insurance certificate (or waiver).
To learn more, read the SIA Registration User Guide and FAQ.