Info for Property Owners
As a property owner you are responsible for knowing and understanding the requirements and other local regulations that must be incorporated into your construction project or into maintaining your property. The New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) is here to help you with any issues you may have whether you are an owner of a one-family home or the owner of a 50,000 sq ft building.
Things You Need to Know
Your success in executing and completing your construction project depends on how well you know, plan, and manage your project.
Tools You Can Use
- Use Project Guidelines for Owners. DOB’s Project Guidelines for Owners provides information on tasks and responsibilities for all stakeholders involved on your project. While Project Guidelines can be used at any stage of your construction project, you should begin using the Guidelines at the start, before your project application is filed. This initial review will help you determine who is responsible for each requirement, and will help you better assess project costs, site safety requirements, reduce liability and potential risks.
- Get Property History. Using tools like the Building Information System (BIS) and the DOB NOW Public Portal, you can review the history of any building in New York City. You can find violations, permits and complaints that were reported. The building history also shows the current status of the information as active or resolved.
- Request Records. Use the DOB NOW BIS Options portal to request drawings, plans or documents for properties located in New York City. For step-by-step directions, see the Record Requests in DOB NOW guide. Requests can be made for folders, plans, microfilm, docket books, reels, index/I-cards, and curb cut cards. Once a record request is submitted in DOB NOW, an email notification is sent to the requestor when the records are available for pick up at the borough office where the property is located.
- Get Job Status Updates. Sign-up to receive free email notifications on the status of construction projects filed with the Department. Use this form to sign-up to receive weekly job status email notifications and enter your email address and the Job Number(s) of the construction project(s) you want to receive status updates. The Department will send you weekly emails showing the status of each Job Number entered.
- Service Level Tracker. The online Service Levels Tracker provides property owners, and the public, a better understanding of the impact DOB inspections and approvals have on the timelines of your projects. The tool allows you to see the average wait times for DOB services all in one place.
- Tool Kits. Learn tips, necessary precautions and operating information for common projects. Learn more and get tips from DOB's various Tool Kits.
Property owners are required to maintain their buildings in compliance with the City's Construction Codes. Failure to do so could result in violations, monetary penalties, and/or criminal charges.
Learn more about:
Still Have Questions?
Our plan examiners, inspectors and staff are here to help you build and live safely in New York City. Speak with DOB before starting your construction project, visit www.nyc.gov/doboffices to contact the borough office where the property you are inquiring about is located.
For general questions, submit an inquiry at www.nyc.gov/dobhelp.