Know Your Construction Professional

Property owners are responsible for any work performed on their buildings and should ensure qualified and experienced professionals that will comply with all requirements of the NYC Building Code and Zoning Resolution are hired. The Department encourages anyone hiring a Construction Professional to check both their disciplinary and voluntary surrender records, as well as current license status.

The Know Your Construction Professional Directory allows anyone, from homeowners to large development firms, easy access to a single comprehensive catalogue that provides the disciplinary and voluntary license records of construction professionals between 1998 to the present. The Directory provides records for:

Design Professionals

Design Professionals (Professional Engineers and Registered Architects) submit required plans and work permit applications to the Department. In limited cases, these design professionals self-certify that their plans satisfy applicable laws and Codes. Contact local industry organizations to find a State-licensed design professional.

Before hiring a design professional check, the disciplinary actions and voluntary surrenders for Professional Engineers & Registered Architects.

Skilled Trades

The Department of Buildings issues more than 30 types of licenses, registrations or certifications. Following is a list of DOB-issued licenses:

  • Elevator Inspection Agency Director & Inspector
  • High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer
  • Hoisting Machine Operator
  • Master Electrician
  • Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractor
  • Master Plumber
  • Oil Burning Equipment Installer
  • Rigger
  • Sign Hanger
  • Site Safety Professional
  • Welder

Below are links to New York City-licensed electricians and plumbers:

Use the License Search to confirm the status of a license, registration, or certification, and the disciplinary actions for:

When hiring a tradesperson, be sure to have a written contract that includes:

  • Tradesperson/Company name;
  • Company address based in New York City; and
  • License Number(s)


General Contractors

Other City agencies have licensing requirements. For example, the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) requires licenses for people or businesses working in a residential building or negotiating home improvement contracts. A person or business must have a DCA Home Improvement Contractor License if engaged in the construction, repair, remodeling, or addition to any land or building used as a residence. This includes, but is not limited to, the construction, replacement, or improvement of basements, driveways, fences, garages, landscaping, patios, porches, sidewalks, swimming pools, terraces, and other improvements to structures or upon land that is next to a home or apartment building.

Visit the Department of Consumer Affairs for specific information and to confirm the status of a DCA-issued license.

Filing Representatives

The Department requires Filing Representatives conducting business with the Department to register and obtain a Department-issued Identification Card.

  • Class 1 Filing Representatives - registered with the Department to present, submit or furnish applications or construction documents and remove documents from the Department.
  • Class 2 Code and Zoning Representatives - registered with the Department to appear before and attend appointments with plan examiners or department technical staff seeking construction document approvals. Class 2 Code and Zoning Representatives are also registered to present, submit or furnish applications or construction documents and remove documents from the Department.

Get information on:

Helpful Links