It is illegal for building owners to force tenants to leave their apartments or surrender their rights. If you are a tenant in an apartment in the City who is being harassed by your landlord, you can get information and help.
Harassment of tenants by landlords or owners can include:
- Not offering leases or lease renewals, or repeatedly trying to pay you to move out.
- Unjustified eviction notices or illegal lockouts.
- Threats and intimidation, such as late-night phone calls.
- Overcharging for a rent-regulated apartment.
- Failure to provide necessary repairs or utilities.
- Deliberately causing construction-related problems for tenants, such as working after hours, blocking entrances, or failing to remove excessive dust or debris.