Cranes & Derricks
IMPORTANT NOTICE: As of April 27, 2020, Crane Prototypes (CPs) and Crane Device (CDs) filings (new, amendments, and renewals) must be submitted in DOB NOW as part of Phase One of the cranes launch in DOB NOW: Build.
There will be no changes to Crane Notices (CNs) transactions during Phase One – paper CN submissions will continue to be processed in BIS until Phase Two, which is currently planned to begin late June 2020.
The Cranes & Derricks Unit (C&D) oversees the design, installation, and safe operation of equipment used for hoisting or lifting purposes. The Unit does not regulate equipment installed on water.
Contact the C&D Unit at:
2 Lafayette Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10007
9:00 am to 3:00 pm (M-F)
- To report an incident or accident involving a crane or derrick, call C&D at (212) 393-2127.
- To schedule an appointment for Crane Inspections, Stop Work Order (SWO) re-inspections, or confirmation numbers and notifications, call (212) 393-2662.
- To schedule an appointment with a Plan Examiner, call (212) 393-2550.
Plan Examination Appointments
- For general Cranes & Derricks questions, call (212) 393-2411.
To schedule a Plan Exam Appointment call (212) 393-2550. Appointments are available 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and must be made 24 hours in advance. Walk-in appointments are not available
Provide the following required information to make an appointment:
- Crane Notice number (CN#) or Special Rigger number (SR#)
||15 minute appointment
||Single Appointment (1 hour)
||Double Appointment (2 hours)
To change or cancel your appointment, you must notify the Department 24 hours in advance
Personnel & Tower Material Hoists
Personnel and Tower Material hoists are regulated by the Department’s Elevator Unit.
Outrigger Beams & C-Hooks
When using Outrigger Beams or C-Hooks, a CD5 Form
must be filed with the Department by a NYC Licensed Rigger (Master or Special) and 24 to 48-hour notice must be given before installation. Contact the C&D Unit at (212) 393-2550.
Industry Notices & Updates
Service Notices & Updates
Please refer to the Licensing
section of our website for all issues and questions concerning the licensing of Crane Operators.
2008 NYC Construction Codes:
- Chapter 4, Article 404, Rigger License
- Chapter 4, Article 405, Hoisting Machine Operator License
Additional Important Regulations:
- Chapter 33, Subchapter 3319
Resources & Reference Materials