Cranes & Derricks
The Cranes & Derricks Unit (C&D) oversees the design, installation, and safe operation of equipment used for hoisting or lifting purposes. The Unit does not regulate equipment installed on water.Contact the C&D Unit at
280 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10007
9:00 am to 3:00 pm (M-F)
- To report an incident or accident involving a crane or derrick, call C&D at (212) 393-2127.
- To schedule an appointment for Crane Inspections, Stop Work Order (SWO) re-inspections, or confirmation numbers and notifications, call (212) 393-2662.
- To schedule an appointment with a Plan Examiner, call (212) 393-2550.
Plan Examination Appointments
- For general Cranes & Derricks questions, call (212) 393-2411.
To schedule a Plan Exam Appointment call (212) 393-2550. Appointments are available 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and must be made 24 hours in advance. Walk-in appointments are not available
Provide the following required information to make an appointment:
- Crane Notice number (CN#) or Special Rigger number (SR#)
||15 minute appointment
||Single Appointment (1 hour)
||Double Appointment (2 hours)
To change or cancel your appointment, you must notify the Department 24 hours in advance
Personnel & Tower Material Hoists
Personnel and Tower Material hoists are regulated by the Department’s Elevator Unit.
Outrigger Beams & C-Hooks
When using Outrigger Beams or C-Hooks, a CD5 Form
must be filed with the Department by a NYC Licensed Rigger (Master or Special) and 24 to 48-hour notice must be given before installation. Contact the C&D Unit at (212) 393-2550.
Service Notices & Updates
Please refer to the Licensing
section of our website for all issues and questions concerning the licensing of Crane Operators.
2008 NYC Construction Codes:
- Chapter 4, Article 404, Rigger License
- Chapter 4, Article 405, Hoisting Machine Operator License
Additional Important Regulations:
- Chapter 33, Subchapter 3319
Resources & Reference Materials