Facade Inspection & Safety Program (FISP) Filing Instructions
Owners of buildings higher than six (6) stories must
have exterior walls and appurtenances inspected every five (5) years and a technical façade report must
be electronically filed with the Department through DOB NOW: Safety
FISP Reports must
be submitted electronically through DOB NOW: Safety
. Once a Registered Design Professional (RDP) meets the required experience and qualifications they will be able to apply for a QEWI (Qualified Exterior Wall Inspector) status that will enable them to file FISP reports in DOB NOW: Safety
A design professional must first create an eFiling account with the Department. If the RDP is a QEWI, once registered in eFiling, the Department’s Façades Unit must be contacted at façades@buildings.nyc.gov to be granted access to DOB NOW: Safety
. To register in eFiling if you are a QEWI
- Fill out the Authentication Form (also called Electronic Filing Account Information) online. To complete the form, you will need to provide your contact information, license number, tracking number, business name and create a password.
- Submit the form and supporting credential information.
- RDPs must sign, date, and seal the Authentication Form.
To submit the form:
- All design professionals must be registered with New York State before activating their eFiling account.
- In-person submission process for RDPs: Design Professionals must have and show their DOB-issued ID card when they submit their registration at the LAA/Permit Renewal and Hub Authentication Unit Customer service window.
- Mail-in process for Design Professionals: Design Professionals must follow the enrollment process outlined in this eFiling Service Notice.
- This form must be mailed or delivered to:
New York City Department of Buildings
LAA/ Permit Renewal and Hub Authentication Unit
280 Broadway, 5th Flr.
New York, New York 10007
Once your account has been confirmed, you must contact the Department’s Façade Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org
to be granted access as a QEWI to DOB NOW: Safety
Building owners must
open a Department eFiling account to give consent to all the QEWI’s reports. To register if you are an Owner or Owner Representative
- Fill out the Authentication Form (also called Electronic Filing Account Information) online. To complete the form, you will need to provide your contact information and create a password.
- You will receive an email confirming the creation of your eFiling account. Click the link in the email.
- You will receive another email with instructions on how to log in to eFiling.
For more information on how to create and submit a report in DOB NOW: Safety, please refer to the DOB NOW: Safety training manuals.
Façade Technical Review
- Once the report has been submitted, it follows an internal process beginning with an Administrative Review, followed by a Plan Examiner Review, and then either an Accepted or Rejected disposition. The current status of the report will be displayed on a ribbon located at the top of the QEWI’s dashboard in DOB NOW: Safety.
- The report must comply with 1 RCNY 103-04, including but not limited to inspection, reporting and filing requirements. Any omissions may be grounds for rejecting the report.
- Please take notice that the following items are frequently omitted or not complied with:
- Lack of photographs and/or sketch for SWARMP or Unsafe conditions
- Time frame for recommended repairs
- Scaffold drop and location of same
- Report findings inconsistent with photographs
- Current and clear color photographs
- Filing within 60 days after the completion of the inspection (see 1 RCNY 103-04(4)(ix))
- For any recommended repairs, indicate if work permit and Landmark Preservation Commission (LPC) approval is required.
Amended Report Technical Review
- Provide clear statement ‘there are no unsafe conditions’ for all of the exterior walls, including areas not mentioned in the unsafe report.
- Clearly indicate that the unsafe conditions ‘item by item’ have been corrected and how they were corrected.
- Indicate if a work permit was required and if yes, please provide a copy.
- All open ECB violations and complaints regarding the façade must be addressed/corrected. (Please review BIS records for the most up to date information)
- Stability of appurtenances
- Scaffold location
- Letter of Completion from the borough office, if required.