Primary Permitting Agencies

Primary Permitting Agencies

To produce an event, shoot a film, host a block party, conduct a procession, parade, or race; or hold an event in a New York City park, permits are required. Read below to learn more about where to apply for a permit.

Street Activity Permit
Office SAPO

The Mayor's Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO), a unit within the Office of Citywide Event Coordination and Management, issues permits for street fairs, festivals, block parties, commercial/promotional events, and other events on the City's streets, sidewalks, and pedestrian islands.

More About SAPO Permits

New York City Police Department NYPD

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) issues parade and sound permits for events throughout New York City. A parade permit is required in order to conduct a procession, parade, or race within the City of New York. A sound permit is issued for events that require amplified sound by a device. Sound permits will be issued by the local precincts.

More About NYPD Permits

Department of Parks and RecreationParks

The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (Parks) manages more than 1,700 parks and facilities within the City of New York. If you wish to hold an event on Parks' property, you must obtain a permit. These permitted events may include athletic events (charitable and non-charitable events), or general, promotional, commercial, and private events held within a park.

Visit Parks Parks' Field and Court Permit Application Parks' Special Event Guidelines

Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and BroadcastingMOFTB

The Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting (MOFTB) is the one-stop shop for all production needs in New York City, including free film permits, free public locations, and free police assistance.