Department of Transportation
The Department of Transportation (DOT) provides safe, efficient, and environmentally responsible movement of people and goods in the City of New York and maintains and enhances the transportation infrastructure crucial to the economic vitality and quality of life of our primary customers, City residents.
DOT permits include:
- Oversized Vehicle Permit: You must obtain a daily Over Dimensional Vehicle Permit for each portion of a trip if you plan to bring vehicles into NYC that exceed the maximum dimensions (13' 6" inches in height, 8' in width, and 55' in length).
- Temporary Changes to Street Lights and Signals Permits: DOT issues permits for temporary changes to street lights and signals for special events. DOT may approve the installation, removal, electrical cabling/wiring, or use of lights and signals.
- Street Banner Permits: DOT issues permits for banners that hang from street lights and other property in DOT's jurisdiction. Banners must promote a public event or a cultural exhibit. Business improvement districts and local development corporations may also install banners to promote their areas.
Other non-permit interaction with DOT may include:
- Removal of Street Furniture: If you are looking to remove street furniture due to safety or space limitations, DOT provides a service for the temporary removal of street furniture such as street lights and street signs. The removal must be paid for by the event sponsors.
- Citi Bike: You may remove or deactivate Citi Bike share stations from your event area due to safety or space limitations. Each request will be reviewed by DOT and NYPD for approval. The removal must be paid for by the event sponsors.
- Horse-Drawn Carriage Variance: If you are looking to have a horse-drawn carriage at your event which is outside of Central Park and its perimeter, you will need approval.
Please make all special requests listed above to the DOT Special Events Unit by calling (212) 839-6620 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.