New York Fire Department
The Fire Department of New York (FDNY) protects the lives and property of New York City residents and visitors by advancing public safety through its fire prevention, investigation and education programs. FDNY issues three separate permits in the areas of fuel, generators, and pyrotechnics. In these cases, the FDNY requires an on-site inspection, submission of application papers, and a fee for services.
FDNY permits include:
- Fuel Permit: If you plan to use and/or store liquid/gaseous fuel at your event, you will need to contact the FDNY-Bureau of Fire Prevention for a Fuel Permit. Please contact, Richard Shaw 718-999-2465 or Pierrecharles Pierre 718-999-1007.
- Generator Permit: If you are using portable generators with a fuel storage tank capacity exceeding two and half gallons gasoline and/or 10 gallons diesel, you will need to contact FDNY-Bureau of Fire Prevention for a Generator Permit. Please contact, Richard Shaw 718-999-2465 or Pierrecharles Pierre 718-999-1007.
- Explosives/Fireworks/Pyrotechnics Permit: If you are going to transport or discharge fireworks, or have pyrotechnics at your event, you will need to contact FDNY-Explosives Unit for an Explosives/Fireworks/Pyrotechnics Permit at 718-999-1595 or Explounit@fdny.nyc.gov.
- Open Flame Permit: If you plan to have candles, sternos or floor mounted café heaters at your event, then you will need to contact FDNY-Bureau of Fire Prevention to see if an open flame permit is required. Please contact Richard Shaw 718-999-2465 or Pierrecharles Pierre 718-999-1007.
- Portable Fire Extinguisher (PFE) Tag: Starting from November 15th 2019, FDNY will only recognize new PFE tags, and will be issuing violations to businesses that have PFE installed without a proper tag. If you plan to have Portable Fire Extinguishes at your event, you will need to have the New PFE Tag.