Street Activity Permitting Office Rules
Our office must administer permits by the procedures outlined in the Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO) Rules. You may read the adoption notice for the extension of the street fair moratorium here. You may also download and read the full list of rules here. The City of New York makes all rules available online by visiting the Rules of the City of New York website. Read below for a summary on some of the rules to take into account before applying for an event permit in New York City.
- Before your SAPO permit is administered, your application will receive recommendations for approval from the Community Board and NYPD.
- We will not provide a permit unless all other City agency permits are obtained.
- All events must have a minimum of $1 million certificate of liability insurance, unless it is a block party without a ride.
- All street events, including block parties and street fairs are required to recycle.
- All events with a full street closure must allow for a 15 foot emergency vehicle lane.
- Street Fair applicants and community sponsors are limited to one event per application and two events per calendar year.
- Rain dates are not permitted.